Room 3006 (Lift 17/18)
Tutorials: Thur. 6pm-6:50pm
Week of ...
Assignments and Projects
(BI: Business Intelligence by C. Vercellis; ML: Machine Learning by E. Alpaydin; TL: Tang and Liu book; TSK: Tan, Steinbach, Kumar Book.
Semester Starts: Feb 1
* First tutorial on Thursday at 6pm.
Project 1: Tutorial Introduction
- BI: 8.2-8.5, 10.5
- ML: 10.7
- BI: 10.2; ML: 3.3;
- N. Chawla, Data Mining for Imbalanced Datasets: An Overview, In: O. Maimon and L. Rokach, Eds., Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Handbook, Springer, New York, 2010, pp. 875-886: link
Bayesian and Graphical Methods
- BI: 10:4;
- ML: 16.2,16.3,16.6
Text and Web Mining
Time Series, Streaming Data
- Social Networks and Graphs (PPT)
- TL: 1-3
- Community Detection and Graph-based Clustering (PPT)
** Students sign up for presentation topics
- TL: 4-5
Social Recommendation Systems
- Social Tagging (B_rkur Sigurbj_rnsson and Roelof van Zwol,)Flickr Tag Recommendation based on Collective Knowledge, WWW 2008 (Slides)
- Collective Intelligence (Slides)
- ECML PKDD 2009 Challenge: Introduction, Remarks
- Steffen Rendle and Lars Schmidt-Thieme, Pairwise Interaction Tensor Factorization for Personalized Tag Recommendation, WSDM 2010 (Slides)
- ACM WSDM Tutorial on Crowdsourcing (the Turk on Youtube) (Slides)
- T. Sakaki, et al.: Earthquake shakes Twitter users: real-time event detection by social sensors. WWW 2010, 851-860. (Slides)
Presentations and term papers
Each student should give two class presentations (20 minute each) using PowerPoint or PDF slides, and write a 10-page term paper on the chosen topic.
Please select papers in recent 3 years from the listed conference proceedings (see right column). Please choose papers on topics relevant to social media, social networks and social recommendations
Presentations and demos
May 14: 9:30 -15:30
Presentations (30 min/student)
Final Project Report and Term Paper are due on May 14th, 2012
For details on the term paper, please see the above link.
· ML Book: Lecture Slides
· TA's Tutorial Page
· Assignments and Projects