Professor of Engineering, Chair Professor and
Head of Department of Computer
Science and Engineering,
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
|IEEE TBD Submission Link
Clearwater Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, qyang (at) cse (dot) ust (dot) hk, Phone: (00852) 2358-7009, Fax: (00852) 2358-2679
- Data Mining: Transfer Learning, Web/Social/Mobile
- Artificial Intelligence: Automated Planning, Machine
Learning, Activity Recognition, and Case-based Reasoning
Publication List | Google
Scholar Profile | Transfer
Learning Survey, Software and Data Resources
Learning in Social Recommendations | MIT Technology
Review Article (ViCAD System)
Papers in Recent Conferences (Link)
| Book: Crafting Your Research
Future, Morgan&Claypool Publishers (link) |
Hong Kong RGC Research Frontiers Article: Heterogeneous Transfer
Chn | Bio
Positions and Education:
- 2015 - present: CSE Department Head, University New
Bright Professor of Engineering and Chair Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- 2012 - 2014, Founding Head, Huawei
- 2001- present: HKUST: Full
Professor (2007 - ) Associate Department Head (PG and Research)
(2011 - 2012), Postgraduate Coordinator (2007-2009), Associate Professor,
Founding Co-Director of
RMBI Program HKUST (2007-2011)
- 1995 - 2001: NSERC Industry Research Chair (1995-2001), Associate/Full Professor at Simon Fraser University,
BC Canada (1995 - 2001)
- 1989 - 1995:
Assistant/Associate Professor, Computer Science, University of Waterloo,
Waterloo, Ont. Canada
- 1999 - 2000: Visiting Researcher at Microsoft
Research China and University of Washington, USA
Laboratory Affiliations: AI and Databases
- AAAI Fellow (2013 - ) Association for the Advancement of
- for significant contributions to AI Planning, Data Mining
and Case-based Reasoning
- AAAS Fellow (2012 - ) American Association for the
Advancement of Science
- for significant contributions to Data Mining, Learning
and Planning: theory, applications, and services
- IAPR Fellow (2012 -) International Association of Pattern
- for significant contributions to Data Mining and Transfer
- IEEE Fellow (2009 - ) Institute of Electrical and
- for Significant Contributions to the Understanding
and Application of Intelligent Planning, Learning and Data Mining
- ACM Distinguished Scientist (2011 - ) Association of
Computing Machinery, Link to ACM
- Two champions out of three dedicated tasks in Nokia
Mobile Data Challenge (Nokia MDC), 2012: see Announcement.
Best Interdisciplinary Paper Award: Ou Jin, Nathan Nan Liu, Yong Yu
and Qiang Yang. Transferring
Topical Knowledge from Auxiliary Long Text for Short Text Understanding.
Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge
Management (ACM CIKM 2011). Glasgow, UK. Oct 2011.
- Third place in the rating prediction of ACM KDDCUP 2011, Yahoo! Music
Recommendation Challenge (Team Coach of
Inner Peace team) (more info)
- Champion (Team Coach) of the 2005 ACM KDDCUP Competition
on all three performance metrics. See related news item at the
university and at KDNuggets.
(Also see: our system demonstration: http://q2c.cs.ust.hk/q2c/)
- Co-Champion for the System ARMS (with Kangheng Wu and
Jiang) for learning planning models
Competition on Knowledge Engineering for Planning and Scheduling, ICAPS
2005, Monterey, CA, USA
- Champion (Team Coach, Tied for #1 Overall) of the 2004
ACM KDDCUP Competition
- Co-winner of the 1996 Automated Software Engineering
best paper award
- Co-winner of the 1994 Canadian AI Conference, best paper
Conference and Society Activities:
- Program Chair, IJCAI 2015, Buenos
Aires, Argentina from July 25th to August 1st, 2015.
- Best Paper Award Committee Chair, ACM WSDM 2015.
- Chinese AI Society Vice Chair, 中国
理事和常务理事 （2014 - ）
- Judge, 2014 Alibaba Big Data Contest, Aug 2014. Media
- General co-chair: ACM RecSys 2013,
Hong Kong, China, Oct 2013.
- Program co-chair: IEEE
Big Data Conference, 2013. CA USA Oct 2013.
- General Chair, ACM
Beijing, China, Aug 12-16, 2012. Interviewing
Chinese KDD Scholars
for KDD 2012: A Conversation with the Chinese KDD Leaders (link).
- IJCAI Trustee (2011 -
2017), IJCAI 2013
Publicity Chair and Area Chair.
- Vice Chair of ACM SIGART
(ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence). July 2010.
- More Conference Activities
Advisory Committee Membership:
|IdeasLab@Davos, Switzerland, "Bridging the Virutal and Physical Worlds with Artificial Intelligence", Jan 23 2015.
- Talk at University of Electronic Science and Technology
of China, UESTC Chengdu, China. User Modeling in Big Data. Jan
- Invited Talk at City
University of Hong Kong, Big Data Forum, Oct 13 2014 (Media).
- Invited Talk in NYU Shanghai,
Big Data Forum, Nov 13-14, 2014.
- Invited Talk at Chinese Conference on
Information Retrieval (CCIR 2014), Kun Ming, Yunnan, China, Aug
2014: "User Modeling in Big Data Era".
- Invited Talk at Big
Data and Analytics Innovation Summit, "Modeling Users in Social and
Mobile Big Data Market", Beijing, China, November 2014.
iResearch Marketing Summit, "User
Behavior Mining and Modeling in the Internet Era", July
24, 2014, Shenzhen, China.
- "An Overview of Transfer Learning" at 2014 Machine Learning
Summer School, Beijing, China (Link)
Hong Kong IE Annual Conference on "Big
Data in a Big City", May 2014
- Invited Speaker at BNP-Paribas
5th Asia Pacific TMT Conference "Monetizing Connectivity", May 2014
- Invited Speaker at the
Big Data Innovation Summit, 2013: User Modeling in Social Media and
Big Data, March 2014.
- Invited Speaker at Tencent
Technology Sharing Day, Title: User Modeling in Big Data, Shenzhen
China. April 2014
- Keynote Speaker at Huawei Cloud
Conference 2013, Into the Big Data, Shanghai, 2013 (link)
- Keynote Speaker: PAKDD 2013, Brisbane, Australia, April
2013. Title: Big
Lifelong Machine Learning and Transfer Learning.
- Keynote Speaker: ACM
WSDM 2013, Rome Italy, Feb 2013. Title: Big
Data, Lifelong Machine Learning and Transfer Learning.
- Keynote Speaker at ADMA
2012 Conference, Nanjing, China, Dec 2012. Title: Transfer Learning
Speaker at ACM KDD-2012 Workshop on
Cross-domain Knowledge Discovery on
Web and Social Networks. Title: Heterogeneous and Source-Free
Learning in Data Mining. Beijing, China Aug 12, 2012.
- Keynote speaker at the 7th IFIP International Conference
on Intelligent Information Processing (IIP2012), 12-15 October,
2012 in Guilin, China. Title: Transfer Learning and Applications.
- Invited Talk at Taiwan AI Society Annual Conference (TAAI-2012),
Tainan, Taiwan, Nov 2012.
- Invited Speaker at SIAM
International Conference on Data Mining (SDM-12), Title: Cross-Domain
Knowledge Transfer in Data MiningAnaheim, CA USA,
April 26-28, 2012. (PDF)
- Keynote Talk at PCC
(Chinese Pervasive Computing Conference, 2011), Title:
"Collaborative, Cross-Domain Activity Recognition For Ambient Living
(协作及跨域环境下的动作识别)", Sept 17, 2011, Tsinghua
- Invited Talk at IJCAI Workshop on Social Web Mining: Transfer
Learning in Social Recommendations. July 25, 2011. Barcelona,
- Keynote at 2011 Chinese Conference on Data Mining (CCDM 2011, 中国数据挖掘年会):
Learning by Analogy to Transfer Learning", May 2011, Guangzhou,
Lecture Series, Academia Sinica, Institute of Information Science,
Taipei Taiwan. May 2011 (link)
Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. Keynote
Speech: Data Mining for Sensor-based Activity Recognition. Dec 2010.
- IJCAI 2009 Invited Talk: Activity
Recognition: Linking Low-level Sensors to High-level Intelligence, Pasadena CA USA. July 17 2009. (Video&Slides @ Videolectures.net; and invited paper in PDF format)
- ACL 2009 Invited Talk:
Heterogeneous Transfer Learning with Real-world Applications, Singapore, August 2009 (Slides in PDF Format
invited paper in PDF format)
More invited talks...
Hong Kong Services:
Current Graduate Students:
Past PhD Students:
- Dr. Yin Zhu,
graduated in August 2014. Thesis: Activity
Recognition via Social Knowledge Transfer. July 21, 2014.
- Dr. Erheng Zhong,
graduated in Feb 2014. Thesis: Composite
Social Network Analysis (PDF). Now:
Yahoo! Labs., USA.
- Dr. Derek Hao Hu,
graduated in Dec 2012. Thesis: Learning
based Activity Recognition (PDF). Now: Microsoft
(Bing) at Redmond,
- Dr. Weizhu
Chen, graduated in Aug 2012. Thesis:
An Associative Characterization of Click Models in Web Search (PDF).
Now: Microsoft (Bing) at Redmond, Washington, USA.
- Dr. Simone Marini, graduated in Aug 2012. Thesis: Qualitative
and Quantitative Protein Interaction Prediction with Machine Learning.
Now: Postdoc in Italy.
- Dr. Evan Wei
Xiang, graduated in June 2012. Thesis:
Transfer Learning with Open Web Data (PDF). Now: Baidu.com
- Dr. Weike Pan,
graduated in June, 2012. Thesis: Transfer
Learning in Collaborative Filtering (PDF). Now: Assistant
at Shenzhen University, Shenzhen, China.
- Dr. Nathan
graduated in December, 2011. Thesis:
Ranking Oriented Approach to Context Aware Recommendation (PDF). Current:
- Dr. Bin
graduated in August, 2011. Thesis: Collaborative
and Transfer Learning in Recommendations (PDF). Current:
Microsoft Research Asia.
- Dr. Vincent
Zheng, graduated in August, 2011. Thesis:
Learning with Limited Data in Sensor-based Human Behavior Recognition (PDF).
Current: Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore.
- Dr. Can Yang,
graduated in May,
2011. Co-supervised with Weichuan
Yu. Thesis: SNP data
analysis in genome-wide association studies (PDF). Now: Yale
- Dr. Qian Xu, graduated in Nov 2010. Co-supervised
with Hong Xue.
Transfer for Solving the Data Scarcity Problem for Machine
Learning in Boinformatics
(PDF). Now: Baidu.com
- Dr. Sinno
Graduated in September 2010. Thesis:
Feature-based Transfer Learning with Real-world Applications (PDF).
2010- 2014: Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore. 2014 -:
Nanyang Professor at Nanyang Technological University (NTU),
- Dr. Jeffrey Junfeng Pan.
Graduated in December 2007. Thesis:
Learning-based Localization in Wireless and Sensor Networks (PDF).
- Dr. Dou Shen. Graduated
2007. Thesis: Learning
Based Web Query Understanding (PDF). co-founder: BuzzLabs, and 2011-2012: Senior
Director, CityGrid Media.
2012-2014: Director of Advertisement Union, Baidu Inc. 2014- :
Director of Search and Personalization, Baidu Inc. Beijing, China.
- Dr. Jie
Graduated in June 2006. Thesis:
Probabilistic Activity Recognition from Low-Level Sensors (PDF).
Research Scientist, CSIRO,
- Dr. Steven
Senior Engineering Director, Google Canada (Wiki).
Thesis (1996): A
Method of Program Understanding using Constraint Satisfaction for
Software Reverse Engineering. University of Waterloo,
Canada. Now: Engineering Director of Google Canada.