- Chair, IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on “Transmissions, Access, and Optical Systems”. (2001-2004)
- The IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) is the largest Society within IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). It has more than 50,000 professional members. The pillars of the ComSoc are their “Technical Committees”. I was elected Chair of the IEEE ComSoc Technical Committee on “Transmissions, Access, and Optical Systems,” which is a very prestigious position. The election is done by all members of ComSoc. The duties of Chair of Transmissions, Access, and Optical Systems is to lead in sponsoring and organizing papers, conference sessions, workshops and standards development relating to both optical and metallic guided media transmission and access systems for the transport of speech, data, and visual information of any bandwidth. This Committee also acts as the interface between ComSoc and any other organizations or industry as far as these topics are concerned.
- Vice-Chair, IEEE Communications Society Technical Committee on “Optical Networking”., (2002-2004)
- The IEEE ComSoc Optical Networking committee serves as ComSoc’s focal point in the area of optical networking technologies and plays an active role in stimulating/organizing leading-edge optical networking symposia, workshops, sessions and tutorials serving OFC and other premier M&C venues. The IEEE ComSoc Optical Networking committee also serves as a proactive facilitator in the dissemination of evolving optical networking standards by working closely with standards forums such as OIF, IETF, and ITU/T1.
- Member, IEEE Communications Society Technical Activity Council (2001-2004)
- The purpose of this council is to make it easier for volunteers and IEEE Communications Society staff to conduct Technical Activities within the framework set by the IEEE Communications Society Constitution, Bylaws and general Policy & Procedures.
Board of Governors Member, IEEE Communications Society Nominated (2004)
- Board of Governors Member, IEEE Communications Society On the Ballot (2007)
- This is the ultimate governing body of ComSoc. Among its duties is to approve all aspects of policy, strategic direction, operations, financial, officer operating plans, and other matters, including Constitution and Bylaws.
- Vice-Chair, Asia Pacific Board – Meeting & Conference Committee (2002-2005)