COMP3711H Exam Information
The class will have two Exams.
The exams are closed book (no material can be brought in).
instructor will distribute a mathematical background sheet with the
exam of items that do not have to be memorized. A copy of this
sheet will be posted on this website prior to the exam.
- Monday, October 27, from 19:30-21:30 in Room 4334
- Worth 30% of the final grades
- A copy of the mathematical background sheet that will be distributed with the exam is here.
- The exam will cover everything taught up to and including Topological Sort on October 24, 2014. The only item that will not be covered (and will also not be covered on the final exam) is Articulation points
- Wednesday, December 10, from 12:30-15:30 in Room LG1027 (see here)
- Worth 40% of final grade
- A copy of the mathematical background sheet that will be distributed with the exam is here (updated 5/12/2014)
exam will cover everything taught up to and including November 27, 2014
with the exception of Articulation Points and the Space Saving Algorithm
for LCS that was covered in the DP Odds and Ends notes. The
material that was taught after the midterm will be emphasized
slightly more than the material already covered by the midterm.
Old Final Exams for COMP3711 are available here for review
For extra practice here are the midterm and final questions from Fall 2002.
New: Review Sessions
We will hold
two review session for the final exam in which the professor will
be available to answer any questions you might have. Dates/Times/Venues
- Thursday, December 4, 2014 2-3 PM, Room 5506
- Monday, December 8, 2014, 2-3 PM, Room 5506
that the course material has changed slightly over the years and course
material is also being taught in a different sequence so there some of
these old exam problem cover material that will not be on your midterm
and/or final exams.
Getting Your Midterm
- Midterms can be picked up from the TA, Mr Qin Bo.
- Sketch Solution Key available here
- Pick up will be in Room 4209 (Lab wing). Times are
- Thursday, October 30, 5-6PM,
- Friday, October 31, 3-4PM
- Marked Assignment 2 can be picked up at the same time
- If you can not come to either of those times, please email the TA to make an appointment
- If you would like to appeal the marking of a question, please fill out the appeal form
detailing yur reason for requesting a grade change and hand it back to
either the TA or the instructor (at class or in his office) with your
marked exam for review. Please check the solution sketches for a correct solution before submitting your appeal
Seeing Your Final Exam
- The Final Exam has been marked. A sketch solution
key is available here.
- Due to department regulations we will be keeping the exam
script, so you can not take it away with you
- We will have 2 sets of designated office hours for you to
see your exam and ask questions about it
- The office hours will all be in room 4209
Designated times are
- Monday, December 15,
- Tuesday, December 16, 2-3:30PM
- If you can not make it to one of designated times,
please email Mr. QIN Bo, firstname.lastname@example.org
to make arrangements to see your exam before the end of Wednesday,
December 17. Please note that, because we will be trying to submit
the final exams by the end of the week, grade appeals after 12PM
on Thursday, December 18 will not be possible
- You will have to sign in to see your exam so please bring
your ID card (either HK or HKUST) with you.
- If you find a miscalculation in the calculation of your
exam grade please tell the TA. He can fix that error.
- If you have questions about your exam grade, please see
the solution key. If you still have questions after that, please
ask the TA. If you believe that a question was not marked correctly
please fill in the request for
grade change form that will also be available during the office hours
explaining why you think the problem was marked incorrectly and we will
review the marking. Submit the form to the TA. You can also email a scanned vrsion of the form to the instructor at email@example.com. The instrutor wil be out of town Mon-Wed and will be processing exam change appeal requests on Thursday.
Return to COMP3711H Fall 2014 Home Page